Pages

Disclaimer

Disclaimer

Please note that any comments and expressions in this blog do not constitute legal advice or consult.
Las expresiones y/o comentarios vertidos en esta página no constituyen una consulta legal.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Where is your changing table?

That is a question I feel I am constantly asking after becoming a mom. A changing table is something that, if you do not have kids, you take for granted. But almost a year after having Eli, I know how indispensable those beige plastic things are!

Today was one of those days where I am out and about with Eli and I need to change her soiled diaper. So as I head to the store's (TJ MAXX) restroom to use the changing table, lo and behold, there was none. ZERO.  What did I have to do? Well, head out to my car to improvise and change her in the back seat, while she is being her usual squirmy self that can't stay put for me to change her. Sigh*

My little squirmy lady..she wouldn't let me finish dressing her.

The sad part of the story: this was not the first time I have had to change her in the car! If restaurants and stores could take into consideration families and have a changing table, it would be splendid. Maybe it should be even made into legislation (as I have researched that there are no laws even requiring restrooms!). And I don't mean only in women's restrooms, but in men's restrooms as well. Something that even my husband agrees on as he is very hands on when it comes to parenting.

What do you think? Have you had a similar experience to me?

2 comments:

  1. Believe it or not I did a little research on this. Bathrooms used my the public have to follow very strict rules and regulations. If you do not have the required amount of space the city will fine you for having a changing table. You need a certain # stalls, sinks, etc. You also need to have the same amount of things in male and female bathrooms. SO if you have room in the women's room but not the men's room -- guess what--You can't put it in there. TJMaxx is a big store and should have one. It's usually smaller restaurants that have issues. I have only had this happen once at a restaurant where I had to change her in the space between the sinks on my changing pad. I just don't go there anymore. I complained to the manager and he told me the same thing "they won't allow us to put it in". So there you have it. It's regulations that make you go to ur car to change ur kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder now because the research I made suggested that there are no laws that require bathrooms in all commercial establishments let alone changing tables. That is why you can go to stores or other places that do not have a restroom in their establishment. From what I read, they view restrooms as a "convenience"; the same goes for changing tables. In my opinion, restrooms should not be considered a convenience as that is one of the basic necessities that human beings have.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome! Positive feedback is greatly appreciated.

Please no spam. All spam will be deleted.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.